Friday, January 16, 2015

Personal Update - Out with the Old



Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a good time welcoming the new year ♥.

To be very honest,
one of the first things I want to do is get a fresh start on my wardrobe.

I noticed that one of my toughest obstacles during the past year
(and one I've heard my friends mention was difficult for them as well)
was freshening up the wardrobe with new, age-appropriate looks
that translate well for various occasions -
as opposed to spending an arm and a leg on a few outfits that can only be worn for certain events.

While digging through my closet,
I would come across old graphic tees from high school,
random impulse buys (everything from souvenirs to retail therapy buys -
the "I've had a rough day" gifts to myself),
and everything in-between.

I was totally overwhelmed by it all.


For those of you facing a similar quandary, here's something that greatly assisted me:






Ms. Betty Halbreich is a well-known personal shopper
with an extensive clientele (including both celebrities and everyday fashionistas)
at the illustrious Bergdorf Goodman store in New York
and her advice in Secrets of a Fashion Therapist is invaluable.


While reading this book, I discovered my weakness - emotional attachment.
You know -
the shirt purchased during an excitement filled vacation, but it's now faded and riddled with holes,
or the pair of shoes bought for a highly anticipated party and only worn once.

Don't get me wrong - I love a good keepsake.
Some things are beyond monetary value - especially if it's a gift from a loved one.
But a closet full of unworn and unwearable keepsakes is a bit much...
and I found myself fumbling through old, too tight, faded clothes while looking for the outfits I needed.


Advice? Don't hoard.
If you're not wearing it and haven't worn it in years, it might be time to part with it.
And yes, while it's true that the fashions of yesterday frequently become the styles of today,
why hold onto something, waiting for it to come back into style
(especially when new takes on old trends often incorporate fresh elements)?

I felt a hundred times better when I went into my closet and only saw things that I needed.

Ms. Halbreich addresses predicaments such as this,
as well as how to dress for one's personal body type,
tips for accessorizing, and the equation to mixing multiple pieces to create a signature look.


If you're looking to add another book to your fashion repertoire
or needing some advice on how a start a fresh, new style journey,
I highly recommend this book.


And as always, I love to hear your feedback! What tips have you learned while on your style journey?



xoxo Habibti



P.S. - Diggin' this read? Check out my other literary recommendation ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment